96 Naples Road, #6
Brookline, MA 02446
(201) 362-8554 (Mobile)
Freelance writer Brookline, MA (12/12-present)
· BrooklineHub.com (12/12-Present): I started out as a writer for this independent, non-profit community website and was promoted to Editor in August 2014. I write feature articles and interview local authors for Booked, a column I created specifically for the site. I also edit other contributors’ articles. My work on Brookline Hub led an editor from Arcadia Publishing to contact me to write the Brookline edition of their new Legendary Locals imprint.
· Little Children Schoolhouse, Brookline, MA (10/14-present): I write and post to WordPress two short blog posts and two childcare articles a month for this local day care center.
· Sales Engine International (7/13-Present): I write newsletter copy, targeted and nurture marketing campaigns, white papers, thought leadership articles, and blog and social media posts. I have written for clients such as Aramark, AdviCoach, Transverse, SafeGuard World International, Independence Rehab, PeopleStrategy, and InfoSec.
· CardCash.com (12/14-present): I write copy for their website as needed, including descriptions of 600 gift cards and the 25 categories of cards that they sell. Most recent comment from client, “The descriptions are great as usual! I love the way you incorporated the merchants so well.”
· Zerys.com (7/13-present): Zerys is an online work-for-hire website. I have written blog posts for 35 different companies and have maintained an average of “5 out of 5 stars” rating from clients. 15 of these clients have put me on their “favorite writers list” for first dibs on new assignments.
· My book with Arcadia Publishing, Legendary Locals of Brookline, went on sale September 15, 2014.
Nicholas Brealey Publishing, Boston, MA
Publicity & Marketing Manager (11/13-6/14)
· Wrote press materials and promotional collateral for 6-10 books per season.
· Worked closely with Consortium Book Sales & Distribution’s marketing and publicity team on promotional efforts, including drafting copy for book’s tip sheet and for the seasonal catalog.
· Updated the website using Magento, composed eNewsletter copy and sent to consumers via Constant Contact, and posted book news on social media sites via HootSuite.
· Monitored Amazon to insure information was accurate.
· Managed digital review copy program on Edelweiss for librarians, booksellers, and reviewers.
Shambhala Publications, Boston, MA
·Only publicist employed at independently owned publishing company; was responsible for publicity campaigns of an average of fifteen front list titles per season. Handled all media requests for extensive backlist.
·Created the contents of the book’s press kit: press release, author bio, sample reviews and suggested interview questions. Wrote galley and promotional postcard copy.
·Developed and maintained contact spreadsheet of editors and journalists across a wide spectrum of categories, from Buddhism to Crafts to Parenting, using CisionPoint. Also developed and maintained list of bloggers.
·Mounted campaigns across all media platforms, including social media (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) and blogs.
·Gathered relevant media contacts and sent them bound manuscripts, galleys, and/or finished copies. Initiated and maintained a catalog of new and forthcoming titles with NetGalley.com to streamline galley distribution process and reduce paper waste.
·Regularly placed books in national print publications such as Health & Spirituality, Tricycle, Shambhala Sun, Scholastic Parent & Child, and Yoga Journal. Had books appear in Martha Stewart Living, O, the Oprah Magazine, Whole Living, Fine Cooking, and Parabola.
·Pitched authors for broadcast media (TV and radio.) Booked two authors on The Martha Stewart Show, which helped increase their book sales.
·Arranged regional and national author tours at bookstores and other venues across the country. Regularly booked events at Brookline Booksmith, Boulder Bookstore, Tattered Cover, Book Passage, others.
·Emailed media alerts about events to local TV, radio, and newspapers.
·Compiled reviews and mentions of titles in weekly report for staff and Random House sales reps.
·Drafted and continuously developed an “Author Toolkit” to help new authors understand publicity campaigns.
·Discussed ideas for the publicity campaign with author. Provided author with detailed notes of call and publicity milestones in subsequent email. Communicated with the author throughout the campaign and after as necessary. Served as the author’s “coach” when needed for interview prep, brainstorming, answering questions, etc.
·Trained and oversaw the work of department interns.
Appalachian Mountain Club, Boston, MA
Senior Marketing Associate (2/08-8/08)
·Managed monthly print and Web advertising campaigns for AMC’s Education and Destinations programs.
·Continued to perform all responsibilities listed below.
Marketing Associate (11/06-01/08)
·Developed AMC Books marketing plan.
·Scheduled author appearances for books division, which increased visibility of the list. Executive Director noted that AMC Books sales in 2007 increased over the previous year.
·Successfully launched the centennial edition of the White Mountain Guide, the lead title on AMC Books publishing list.
·Wrote copy and worked with freelance designers and printers to create print collateral like POP displays, magazine wraps, postcards, posters, and direct mail brochures.
·Drafted marketing copy for outdoors.org and for the AMC online store; recommended products for online promotions.
·Generated copy and trafficked an average of five internal ads a month for AMC Outdoors magazine.
·Wrote and sent press releases for new AMC Books
Bantam Dell, Random House, Inc., New York, NY
Internet Marketing Manager (1/05-06/06)
·Developed and executed online campaigns with promotional partners including New York Magazine, ELLEgirl.com, Mysterynet, Sheckys, Daily Candy, and Social Diva.
·Tracked statistics for web campaigns to rate effectiveness.
·Staged HTML pages for main Bantam Dell site and various author sites.
·Wrote news copy for main Web site at .
·Selected titles and contests for to include in their monthly e-newsletters.
·Continued to perform all responsibilities listed below.
Associate Manager, Internet Marketing (7/03-12/04)
·Composed, edited, and mailed three monthly trade book e-newsletters and five author newsletters.
·Wrote semi-monthly marketing copy for “Everyone’s Talking” on the Bantam Dell home page.
·Oversaw Bantam Dell Reader Reviewer program, with a total of 60 Reader Reviewers a month. Selected and notified reviewers and edited their reviews for publication.
·Managed average of ten sweepstakes and quizzes a month, including creating quizzes in Quizmaker, selecting winners, and ordering and mailing prizes.
Gemstar-TV Guide. Corp./ NuvoMedia, New York, NY
Content Manager (5/00-6/03)
·Selected titles for placement on the website () and for eBookCentral, a catalog loaded onto the Gemstar eBook devices.
·Acted as liaison with publishers and retailers for promotional ideas.
·Conducted Q&As with authors for placement on the device and on the web, including for the former eBookNet.com.
Editorial Coordinator (10/99-4/00)
·Originated the concept of "eBook Girl" as an editorial voice, which contributed to the brand.
·Selected, reviewed, and summarized eBook editions for biweekly e-Newsletter.
·Created and managed monthly content promotions on the NuvoMedia web page.
·Started weekly internal newsletter “Good Reads” recommending eBooks to employees.
John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, NY
Editorial Program Assistant (5/98-10/99)
· Supported the work of two editors, including executive editor of the health/self-improvement division.
· Managed authors and agents by answering questions and handling advances.
·Aided manuscript development from acquisition stage to published book.
·Summarized and critiqued proposals for potential publication.
Editorial Assistant (5/96-4/98)
·Provided administrative support for editor whose program included over 75 front list/backlist chemistry titles.
Rutgers College, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ, May 1995
Bachelor of Arts in English, concentration in Creative Writing
Emerson College School of Continuing Education, Boston, MA, Spring 2013
Course: Feature Writing for the Web (Completed; received an “A”)
2005 Random House Team Recognition Award
Honors both individual contributions and team effectiveness.